Week Topic: Race and Ethnicity and the Economy and Politics
In order to complete this week, do the following:
- Read the week’s objectives.
- Read the week’s lecture.
- Complete the reading assignment.
- Post first discussion post in each discussion board by Wednesday 11:59 p.m.
- Post at least two more times in each discussion board by Sunday 11:59 p.m.
- Complete the lecture response by Wednesday 11:59 p.m.
- Complete the midterm examination.
- If you have questions about what you should do post them to the “Questions to the Instructor” discussion thread or email the instructor directly.
Course Learning Objectives:
After completing this module you should be able to:
Relate to the needs and challenges of race and ethnicity.
Key Concepts: Define our changing immigration mosaic
Differentiate between racial and ethnic diversity in America
Describe the sources of racial-ethnic friction
Relate to the sociological explanations of racial-ethnic inequality
Understand how the economy and politics affects our social system.
Key Concepts: Distinguish between government, power and authority
Describe the current power and politics in U.S. society
Differentiate between the types of political systems
Determine who votes, who doesn’t, and why
Understand work and its relationship with the economy.
Key Concepts: Define what the social significance of work means to society
Distinguish between the types of work in the U.S. society today
Identify sociological explanations of work and the economy
Describe the relationship between corporations and capitalism