Week Topic: Deviance, Crime, and the Criminal Justice System; Social Stratification; Gender and Sexuality
In order to complete this week, do the following:
- Read the week’s objectives.
- Read the week’s lecture.
- Complete the reading assignment.
- Post first discussion post in each discussion board by Wednesday 11:59 p.m.
- Post at least two more times in each discussion board by Sunday 11:59 p.m.
- Complete the lecture response by Wednesday 11:59 p.m.
- Complete the week's writing assignment.
- Complete the week 3 quiz.
- If you have questions about what you should do post them to the “Questions to the Instructor” discussion thread or email the instructor directly.
Course Learning Objectives:
After completing this module you should be able to:
Understand how the criminal justice system deals with deviance and crime.
Key Concepts: Distinguish between deviance and crime
Determine the positive and negative sanctions
Differentiate between informal and formal control
Distinguish between prevention and intervention
Understand the purpose and importance of social stratification.
Key Concepts: Define what social stratification means to society
Distinguish between the social classes in America
Identify why there are haves and have-nots in our society
Describe the inequality across societies
Understand the concerns and challenges regarding gender and sexuality.
Key Concepts: Distinguish between male and female similarities and differences
Relate to gender stratification and inequality
Identify the concerns regarding sexuality and human development
Describe gender inequality and sexuality